Being such a small team of working volunteers, it is very difficult for us to spend time in schools but we managed to visit Navigation Primary School’s Eco Team for 10 frenetic sessions between January and June 2017.
Despite having only half an hour during a lunch break on each occasion, we managed to teach the children about:
-How to chit seed potatoes
- How to identify weeds
- About recycling food waste to make compost
- How to sow seed potatoes in containers
- How to sow vegetable and herb seeds
- How to sow beans
- About the importance of bees and other pollinators
- How to identify a variety of insects
- How to build a bug hotel
- How to sow wildflower seeds
- How to harvest potatoes
The children have really enjoyed having a purpose for growing all of the foo on Shaw’s Green and although they haven’t been able to visit the site in school time yet, they are looking forward to meeting the judges there on July 13th and also some of the senior citizens who enjoy their “beautiful potatoes”.
Next year, we hope to continue our work with Navigation primary School and possibly others and to launch a Primary Schools’ Gardening Contest to encourage a little friendly competition.